Trash to Treasures Art Center
Our Art Center operates a "Trash to Treasures" program where the resort's trash is recycled into craft items and fine art. The Center features a Glass Studio, Clay Studio, Textile Department and Gallery/Craft Center.
At the Glass Studio we offer free nightly demonstrations of glass-making from bottles that are usually discarded in the trash. Visiting glass artists and staff artists create custom glass pieces from recycled glass bottles by blowing, casting and flame working.
Maho Bay Clayworks has 12 wheels and three kilns; gas, electric and, our favorite, a kiln that fires with scrap pallet wood. We also offer classes using Raku and pit firing.
Throughout the Winter Season local and visiting artists conduct a variety of Glass, Batik, Painting and craft classes.
To view video introductions to art at Maho Bay, please select the video and your connection speed below.
Class Lineup for Maho Art Center
The schedule is subject to change so please call for updates.
- Visit a glassblowing studio unique to Maho Bay Camps. Come join us at the glass studio near the registration desk and clay studio!
- Glass Blowing — learn the process of creating works of art from recycled bottles and try it yourself
- Special "Kids Only" Glass Stamp Class — learn for the experts how you can create your own stamp made from recycled glass
Fabric & Paper Classes
- Papermaking — create your own recycled sheets of paper from shredded office paper and lint from the clothes dryer.
- Batik for Kids & Adults — learn the ancient art of creating wax designs on recycled fabric.
- Ceramic Pendants & Wind Chimes — create your own necklaces with pendants or wind chimes made from porcelain clay decorated with island leaves or coral and shells from the beaches
- Guest Open Studio — for those of you who have experience in working with clay, use the ceramics studio to make what you'd like with 5lbs. of clay
- Kids & Family Potter's Wheel — a fun introduction to creating a clay pot on the potter's wheel. All materials and firing included except shipping
- Watercolor Landscape Painting — You will try out tools and techniques: washes, wet into wet, glazing, color lifting as you see and interpret the landscape